[3830] ARRLDX CW AE0EE SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae0ee@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW AE0EE SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 17:07:33 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE
Station: AE0EE

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:    4     3
   40:   12     9
   20:   17    10
   15:   45    21
   10:   22     8
-------------------
Total:  100    51  Total Score = 15,300

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

5 W, dipoles up 5-7 m, keyed on a Vibroplex bug.

Travel delays meant I wasn't able to get to the shack until 2100z Saturday.
Having found myself in a rut recently with contesting, and with some action on
10 and 15 m, I decided to mix things up by operating QRP and sticking primarily
to the higher bands.

The first few hours I operated felt like the Hawaii QSO Party.  Lots of loud
KH6/KH7 stations on several bands with no waiting in a big pileup.  As the
afternoon went on, there was a good opening to JA and eastern Asia on 15 m.

As expected, it was much harder to make a go of things on 20 and 40 m,
particularly operating unassisted and having to wade through all the domestic
stations calling CQ.  I managed some contacts, though, and was surprised how
quickly I was able to make a few on 80 m.  While I listened briefly on 160 m, I
know my station doesn't DX well even with 100 W, so didn't spend much time or
effort here.

I probably missed some good EU openings on Sunday morning, but that's standard
operating procedure for me, it seems.  Sunday wasn't as good on 10 and 15 m,
with signals weaker and more pileups on the stations on 15 m in particular.

In all, it was fun to see what my station can do with 5 W, and to find out which
stations have the receivers to hear said 5 W amid all the splattering kW
stations.