[3830] ARRLDX CW K4HQK SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K4HQK SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 03:18:58 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:    0
   80:   34    21
   40:   97    40
   20:   87    41
   15:   60    38
   10:   38    19
-------------------
Total:  316   159  Total Score = 150,732

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Recovering from a short illness Friday, I spent a little mid-evening time on 20m
(15m and 10m were dead by this time), where I immediately worked PVRC’s
Bill/W3UL operating from Nevis as V47UM. After a few more QSOs, I took a deep
breath and plunged into 40m combat, a radio war between the U.S., EU and the
Caribbean. After 70 QSOs I hit the sack at 2300 EST.

Saturday morning the Pacific was calling on 40m, enabling a few QSOs with VKs,
ZLs, and the ever-reliable KH6LC. Also nabbed V3X in Belize. After 40m cooled I
moved to a surprisingly active 15m band and remained there the rest of the
morning—all EU like 40m Friday night. I gulped when I realized I’d worked
RK4FD (Russia) and followed that with US2YW (Ukraine).

Then I checked 10m and was pleased to find some activity there, too. I remained
on 10m till 1730 EST, piddling away all afternoon for 35 QSOs. Among those 35,
however, were ZD7BG, KH6TU, KH6LC (again), KH6CJJ, KH7Q, ZM1A, ZL3X, and CE2ML.

At 1730 I switched back to 15m, now long and with fewer signals. Saturday night,
I discovered, was less busy than Friday night (possibly with weaker band
conditions); still, this 50-minute visit netted JA7IC, KL7SB, KH6AQ, KH7Q,
AH6KO, and AL7LO. After dinner I opened on 40m for an hour and picked up more
EUs, including a CU7, but also V4/KG9N and FY5KE.

I then capped off the evening with a group of EUs on 80m, my one visit
(2140-2255 EST) to that band. In great demand was C6ANM, possibly the only
Bahamian station in the contest—but I got ‘em and headed off to bed.

Finally, Sunday. Activating at 0700 I found next to nothing on 40m (two Cubans)
so I worked them and quickly switched to 20m, which of course was open to
Europe. This visit earned 55 QSOs, including (finally!) the UK (G2E, M0B and
G6XX). A little after 1230 EST I paid a very short visit to a less-active 10m,
grabbing three QSOs that included D4L in the Cape Verde Islands.

From then on I went band-hopping for the afternoon, starting with 15m (e.g.
GM3YTS, J35X, 9Z4A, CR3W, HP3SS), then 20m (CR3DX, VJ3A, EA6FO, EA8CN,
5Z4VJ—my only Africa QSO—and HR/AD8J). I ended my contesting at 1800 EST
after a few more minutes back on 15m (JA3YBK, JR3NZC, and JR2GRX).

With Russia poised at this writing to invade Ukraine, I could only wonder why
Ukrainian hams were active instead of packing up and beating it for Poland. I
worked five: UW1M (Lisichansk), US1Q (Berdjansk), UT5NC (Vinnytsia), UW0K
(Korets), and US2YW (Chernivtsi in the Carpathians, where my father-in-law’s
family came from). Russia gave me only three QSOs (RK5FD/Penza, UC5C/Moscow and
UA2FZ/Kaliningrad). Let us hope things cool down over there soon.

John K4HQK
Alexandria, Virginia

Station: Icom 7410, Ameritron ALS-600 amp, Cushcraft R6000 vertical, and
dipoles.