[3830] ARRLDX CW N6CW(@W6XI) SOUAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6cbureau@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N6CW(@W6XI) SOUAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 03:47:24 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: N6CW
Operator(s): N6CW
Station: W6XI

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: ARIZONA
Operating Time (hrs): 35

  160:   42    27
   80:   77    37
   40:  452    83
   20:  271    68
   15:  301    68
   10:   92    34
-------------------
Total: 1235   317  Total Score = 1,174,485

Club:

Comments:

My 4th visit to W6XI in Tucson AZ for this contest. Past efforts have been
single band 40. This year with improving high band conditions I wanted to do an
all band effort. W6XI has a good antenna for 160 and 40 but no high band
antennas. For this effort I built a 3 band inverted V antenna for 10-20 in hopes
of making some contacts on those bands but not expecting much. I planned on
getting it to the 65 foot level on the tower but chickened out and I only made
it to 40 feet and stopped there as I did not want to go any higher. There was
also an 80 meter inverted V installed.

My goal was 1000 Q's and 1 million points but I did not expect to come close. I
also planned on not operating from midnight until 5 AM knowing that would impact
my score without all those JAs on 40 and 80 meters. It was all about meeting my
goals and quality and not so much quantity.

Conditions were fair Friday night on 40 and 80 but no EU on 160 at all. Saturday
was good and I even worked some real EU stations with the low inverted V's on 10
meters and almost everyone I heard on 15 and 20. Saturday night on 160 the band
came alive and I worked a bunch of EU stations with very good signals. A real
thrill. It was like an 80 meter opening. Sunday was good again on the high bands
but not so good on 10 meters. No Europe. I am used to doing S&P from home
and I was stuck in that mode with the idea that my high band antennas were not
good enough to run. The last hour on 15 the JAs were so loud I decided to call
CQ and worked non stop with about 120 Qs and 7 new multipliers. A real thrill
which I have not experienced since I had a real station back in the day.

It was nice to see the high band activity again.

Thanks to Jerry W6XI for allowing me to visit and play radio.