[3830] ARRLDX CW WX3B SOUAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@ahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WX3B SOUAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 18:06:29 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 16.5

  160:   30    27
   80:  114    50
   40:  259    73
   20:  708    91
   15:  565   104
   10:   46    42
-------------------
Total: 1722   387  Total Score = 1,999,242

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was a really FUN EVENT!!

Some of my pre-contest testing indicated that 80-meter transmissions  were
mysteriously disconnecting my internet connection on all my computers.  This was
an unwelcome surprise, of course, but it was easily solved by wrapping all the
cables going into the internet router with torroids!  I rarely experience such a
nasty problem with such a simple and 100% reliable fix!

I am also researching a new broadband hash (appliance) noise on 160 that
doesn’t stop me from operating, but it will stop me from hearing the weak
signals calling.  A neighbor 500 feet away with an automatically timed lighting
system appears to be the potential cause.   This is a project for another day.

Off to the races at 7:00pm Friday night – I pounced my away around 40, 80
& 160 to run up my multiplier totals and had my 3 hours of great fun.

On Saturday – I arrived at round just before 10:00am, tried hard to make 10
meters work, and abandoned it for a blistering run on 15 meters.  I felt out of
practice…so many callers, and all seemed to be on the same frequency.  For the
smart operator, being a few hundred Hz off frequency meant getting into the log
long before much stronger signals that were all zero beat with each other.  Back
to 10 to try making it work again…and then right back to 15….and then onto
20 to pounce on multipliers quickly before  settling into a nice run.   At the
end of Saturday’s day-fest of running 15 & 20, I had a lot more QSOs and
multipliers on 15 than 20.  Ran 40 for a while, then back to 20 for some Asians,
etc. and turned in at 5:30pm Saturday.

Arrived back at WX3B Sunday morning at about 9:30 and with few short breaks
operated until the contest end.  I was surprised how well 80 sounded near the
end of the contest, even made a few QSOs on 160, but that DARN LOUD 8Q7 on
80…I just couldn’t get him.  I also heard some juicy multipliers W3LPL was
working on 15 meters that I just didn’t have the horsepower to reach.   It was
fun working a 9M6, BY, and a few other Asians on 15 & 20 near the end of the
contest, and exchanging a few short “hellos” with some JA friends I
haven’t been able to work on 15 in a long time.  I did work a JA on 10 before
the contest started (Thanks K3MM for the email alert) but no JA during the
contest.

It was an extremely fun, mostly daylight 17 hours of operating!!

I looked back over my ARRL DX CW single-op results, and discovered this limited
effort is my best to date – so I will celebrate that fact.

I’m looking forward to playing in the ARRL DX SSB contest for a few hours,
then hoping to be a full time Multi-op again in CQ WPX SSB – for the first
time since 2019!

73,

Jim  WX3B