[3830] ARRLDX CW OX7AM(OZ7AM) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, alex.oz7am@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW OX7AM(OZ7AM) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 23:10:01 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: OX7AM
Operator(s): OZ7AM
Station: OX7A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Kangerlussuaq
Operating Time (hrs): 41

  160:   19    14
   80:  127    38
   40:  643    57
   20: 1351    60
   15:  841    57
   10:  115    36
-------------------
Total: 3096   262  Total Score = 2,427,168

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

I made the decision to once againg go contesting smack in the middle of the
auroa zone. In CQ WW it's a kinda nutty thing to do and the results have varied
wildly. I thought perhaps it would be okay if my target area were in my back
yard. Thinking that Greenland being geographically North American I thought I'd
have a fair chance of making a good score.

The main concern with this part of the world is how little disturbance it takes
before the low bands almost entirely die out. This happened to me during the
first night with only 400 QSOs in the log. 20 picked up early morning, but
everyone's antennas were likely pointed on Europe so I very much relied on being
spotted thus enjoying short bursts of pileup until the band changed, allowing my
signal to plough through.

40, 20 and 15 were my money bands. 10 gave me a nice surprise Sunday evening
with a a lovely little opening to the west coast. All in all I added another
some 100 QSOs and 36 mults to the log, way after sunset.

The antennas I used were rather modest. HexBeam on the high bands, dipole on 40,
combined vertical/L-antenna for 80 and 160. The weather can be extremely rough
in Kangerlussuaq, so no antenna of any significance can be permanently installed
-- and a couple of them had to be put up before and taken down after the
contest. Both activities taking place at temperatures in the negative 20ies (deg
F).

Thanks to everyone who called -- I'll be back next year for sure!

73!

Alex/OX7AM