[3830] CQ160 SSB K4HQK Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB K4HQK Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 02:25:12 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 3:45

Total:  QSOs = 58  State/Prov = 19  Countries = 0  Total Score = 2,432

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

As if struggling with 100 watts into one leg of an 80m dipole on 160m were not
difficult enough, the line noise level jumped from S7 Thursday to S9+10db Friday
and stayed there throughout the contest. I heard little but the strongest
stations.

Friday night brought the most signals of the contest, but Saturday morning at
0650 EST I heard only three, and one was a dupe. As usual I heard only the
eastern half of the U.S. and Canada, including Prince Edward Island station
VY2ZM. No EU, of course, but Masa/4U1WB in D.C. was a treat to hear, as were
PVRCers Tim/N3QE and Fred/K3ZO, who power-washed me with his RF cannon from
across the Potomac.

Saturday evening I returned at 2020 EST to find the band almost empty. Those I
did hear were mostly dupes. Activity began to pick up after 2100 so I was able
to work a few more, including VY2WW. I docked the ship at 2140.

Sunday morning at 0700 I heard nothing at all but the buzz of that pesky line
noise. That afternoon between 1600-1700 EST, the contest’s final hour, I heard
two stations calling CQ over and over, but both were dupes. However two minutes
before the contest ended at 1700 EST I found Jon/AA1K CQing on 1875.0 from
Delaware, called him, and he answered! Yes! Total for Sunday: One QSO.  Total
for the contest: 58 QSOs (73 one year ago) and 19 state/province multipliers (21
a year ago) in just under four hours.

I always enjoy having a reason to get on 160m, even with line noise, but it’s
going to take a whole box of Q-tips to clean that noise out of my ears ;-)

John K4HQK
Alexandria, Virginia