[3830] SCQP K4HQK Single Op FixedMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] SCQP K4HQK Single Op FixedMixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 21:38:37 +0000
                    South Carolina QSO Party - 2022

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op FixedMixed HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 4:50

  160:
   80:   12      2
   40:   29     12
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
----------------------------
Total:   41     14      0  CW Mults = 20  Ph Mults = 11  Dig Mults = 0  Total
Score = 4,410

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

From its start at 1100 EST the SCQP’s activity level was uneven: busy at
first, then scattered occasional signals, then busy again toward the end
although by then most were dupes. My best rate was during the first hour (17
QSOs). Despite jumping back and forth between CW and SSB frequencies, I worked
41 CW but could find only 14 SSB to work. If I had been able to hear SC stations
above 40 meters the story might have been different, but my Virginia QTH is too
close to SC for the upper bands.

From my location, 40m proved the most productive—41 of the 55 total. I had
thought 80m would be boiling over with SC stations. Nope. I worked 14 on that
band, only two of which used SSB; all the other 80m SSB signals were
ragchewers.

So, my 55 QSOs in the Palmetto State were achieved in just under 5 hours while
enduring an average rate of 11.4 per hour. Yawn. The multiplier total of 31 (via
23 of SC’s 46 counties) would have been far lower without the gallivanting
mobiles WW4SF (two counties), KB4DE (two) and especially N4CW (seven, including
Barnwell, my home county). They put quite a few low-population counties on the
air and may have traveled into even more, but if so, I missed them. I also wish
to acknowledge AA4TI, who parked on the intersection of three county lines
(CLRN, FLOR, SUMT) throughout SCQP. He must have been one happy fellow to crawl
out of his vehicle at 2200 ;-)

One county I should have worked but never heard was, of all places,
Charleston—second largest in the state. The contest Website listed four CHAR
stations expected to be active in the SCQP, but just as in 2021’s contest, I
never heard a single one.

Since I was also participating in the CQ 160m SSB contest, I bid adieu to the
SCQP at 2020 EST.

John K4HQK
Alexandria, VA

Station: IC7410, Ameritron ALS-600 amp, dipoles.