[3830] ARRL June VHF K4LY Single Op-All Modes LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, DougK4LY@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K4LY Single Op-All Modes LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 14:24:16 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  268   151  Total Score = 42,129

Club:

Comments:

First vhf contest was September, 1956 (or 1957?), with a 2M Gonset Communicator,
and until recent years I've operated almost all of them and been top 10
nationally in quite a few from those three recent locations- as K1UGQ in
Biddeford Pool, Maine, W3IFA in DC, W2CRS in  Schenectady, NY, W0AH in Woodland
Park, CO, and since 2007 as K4LY in Inman, SC. In addition, I've operated vhf
contests from Cancun and from Belize.  All good things come to an end.  Some
year soon I'll be selling my house with all the radio equipment and two 66'
towers on a hill several hundred feet HAAT.
Now, my 82 year old eyes work a little better than my 82 year old ears, so I'm
pretty much contest limited to digital, and only operated FT8 this contest. In
recent years I've never been able to operate for more than a few hours, but with
6M Es so good, surely a top 10 in my 65 years of vhf contesting, I hung in there
as best I could and perhaps worked as many or more 6M grids,136, running low
power, than in past years.  I was running only 50 watts to match the 50 watts
output on 144  and above of my Q5, five band transverter.  Unfortunately my
favorite band, 144, and above, suffered, and I only spent a few minutes there.
Because I'm doing a lot of automated (scanning and logging)TV DXing with 4 TV
antennas with preamps on my towers, just a few feet from my 6, 2, 222, 432, 902,
and 1296 antennas, I didn't dare run my KW amps.  Hopefully the preamps survived
my 50 watts.
It was great to hear, and even work, a few old VHF friends and acquaintances in
New York and Colorado that were active all those decades ago when I lived there.