[3830] ARRL June VHF N2NT Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N2NT Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:03:22 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2022

Call: N2NT
Operator(s): N2NT N2NC WW2Y
Station: N2NT

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: FN20si
Operating Time (hrs): 28

    6:  642   228
    2:  294    60
  222:   48    23
  432:   57    19
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total: 1041   330  Total Score = 377,190

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

This contest seemed to have a little of everything for us.  Some highlights:

6 meter DX:  JA both evenings and Europe both days.  Europe trickled in just
about all day Sunday.  It’s hard to not get sucked into DXing.  Most of the
time, it made more sense to run faster US QSOs and grids.  We ended up with our
highest 6m grid total but were short of our best QSO total (775 6m Qs in 2020).

6 meter analog:  SSB crowded both days.  Pacific Northwest on SSB and CW Sunday
night.  Got frustrated with the slow Europe QSO rate on FT8 Sunday afternoon.
Flash! – switch to CW and work about 40 Europe QSOs much easier and faster.
We added lots of new grids in that opening.

Meteor scatter:  Good 2m rocks Sunday morning.  We worked about 5 new grids,
which is more than usual.  N4SVC suggested we run MSK on 222 and we completed!
This was our first ever 222 MSK QSO in a contest.  We almost completed with W9XA
on 222 MSK earlier.

2M Es:  Lucky to catch an opening to the EM15 area Sunday night.  We worked Es
on both FT8 and SSB.  This opening pushed our 2m grid total to 60.  That’s
going to be tough to top.

The station played well with almost no equipment problems.  A new homebrew Wi-Fi
(ESP8266 based) push-button selector box for the 6m antennas was much better
than the pair of StackMatch control boxes.  We used PstRotator for the first
time to control 222/432 rotators from inside Win-Test.  Should have done that
years ago.

Nice to see SSB (and FT4) fill up on 6m during peak openings.  We’re all
slowly learning to leave FT8 when signals are strong.

Thank you for all the QSOs.

73,

John N2NC, for the N2NT VHF team.