[3830] IARU N5OT SOAB(A)CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU N5OT SOAB(A)CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 13:18:53 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2022

Call: N5OT
Operator(s): N5OT
Station: N5OT

Class: SOAB(A)CW HP
QTH: OK
Operating Time (hrs): 20:00

  160:     0    0       0        0
   80:    65    0       9        6
   40:   359    0      26       31
   20:   612    0      37       39
   15:   296    0      34       40
   10:    50    0      13        8
-------------------------------------
Total:  1382    0     119      124  Total Score = 1,085,238

Club: SO1R

Comments:

I think that is the longest I have operated an IARU Radiosport since WRTC2014.
It was fun.  I have a ~43 foot tower with a HyGain 3-element tribander, then a
vertical on 40 and 80.  160 is off the air for maintenance.  I ran almost 1500
watts on 4 out of the 5 bands.  For whatever reason I had to cut it back to
about 1000 watts on 15 meters.

I enjoyed using the Contest Online Scoreboard and sparring with the likes of
AD4EB, N9NC, AE2W, and N3AD all of whom bested me ultimately.  Alan showed there
is no substitute for staying up ALL NIGHT.  I was nodding at 6 hours to do, took
4 hours off, and got back on with 2 hours to go.  When I went to bed I was 100K
points ahead of Alan.  When I woke up, he was 100K points ahead of me!

Only one radio at N5OT at the moment.  It has 2 VFOs but you can't listen on 2
frequencies at the same time.  And band changes are ... old school with all the
knobs and switches.  I have no idea how those guys above were set up.

Marko N5ZO gets honorable mention for kicking my ass from California, too.
Kudos to N4UU for picking up the slack there in the later part of the contest.

Crazy 10 meter opening to Europe in the last 10 minutes of the contest from
N5OT.  Isn't that just the way of it.

I could get used to this.  I need some more antennas.  And a second radio I
suppose.

73 - Mark N5OT