[3830] IARU WN4AFP SOAB(A)Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, daveedmo@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] IARU WN4AFP SOAB(A)Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 17:40:17 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2022

Call: WN4AFP
Operator(s): WN4AFP
Station: WN4AFP

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:
   80:   24             5       2
   40:  197     17     16      24
   20:  259     85     24      36
   15:  122     41     20      28
   10:   28      1      8       2
-------------------------------------
Total:  630    144     73      92  Total Score = 350,460

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

This was a perfect combinations of amazing band conditions and a very fun 24
hour contest!

It's a few hours after the whirlwind of a contest and I'm a little tired... not
from the contest, but actually completing the 3830 submission form. Whew! What a
good problem to have.

On Wednesday before the contest, I shared with the fam that I wanted to give
this contest a truly full-time effort. This was my first 'start-to finish'
full-time contest.  I received their support, so it was time to choose my
operating category with Low Power. In the past, I've typically done single op CW
and I did a M/S with N4IQ that was mixed. I was planning to do CW until Friday
night when I decided to tweak my N1MM+ voice keyer audio files. So I was going
for it. SO LP AB Assisted and MIXED. I didn't really have a Mixed strategy, so I
switched modes as the contest unfolded. N4XL, Kevan shared that he was going
Mixed Assisted, so I thought I'd tag alone and give it a go.

My station (TS-50 , 80m OCF dipole at 55' NW/SE and N1MM+) played very well on
40m-10m, but my rig has some output issues on 80m and no 150m antenna. It was a
basically a 3 band adventure. My station really performs on 40m and 15m but 20m
has always been a struggle...but not in this contest.

At 1200z on 7/9, the bands were already starting to fill with station and open
during the first few hours. 20m was open for most of the 24 hours and 15m was
open for hours too. I operated S&P the first 20 hours and then mixed it up
with running during the home-stretch.

My operating goals for the contest.
Keep my Q rate at at lest at 40/hr. (actual rate was 34/hr.
My QSO goal was 750. Actual count was 774 with 13 dupes
Make some Phone contacts every hour. I did this one.
Make no more than 2 calls during pile-ups and move-on regardless  if a mult or
not. I worked the contest with this strategy until I heard two very rate
stations...Oman A47 on phone and CW that I didn't work AND  China B4HQ. I spent
way too long trying to work these stations. This was the first time that I had
ever heard China at my home station. I had to keep calling the B4. I didn't
officially work China for the contest, but I didn't work China unofficially. I
called many times on CW and the op responded with 'WN????' and 'W4???'. So I did
finally 'work China!

The only time in the contest when was struggling with my strategy was during the
last 3 hours of the contest. Do I run from 5 am until 8 am or S&P. Neither
were working well during the last few hours. But overall it was my best sing op
contest effort to date. I thought that I'd be a close second to N4XL, but during
the night, his online score meter stopped running at 272k adn I was way behind.
I was committed to 24 hours so I continued. We did have 2-3 storms that made me
QRT for an hour. I did operate Assisted, but I used the spots to watch band
conditions and I didn't click on every spot etc. My VFO knob was complaining of
exhaustion near the end of the contest.

I had a blast working this contest and I'm thanking for to all of you for the
Qs. The Swamp Foxes definitely showed-up for this contest!

I'll be back next year!73s Dave.

73
Dave WN4AFP
Director - State QSO Party stateqsoparty.com
VP - Swamp Fox Contest Group swampfoxcontestgroup.com (South Carolina\'s only
state-wide contest club)