[3830] IARU N6WM(@N6RO) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, chris.tate@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] IARU N6WM(@N6RO) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 19:35:22 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2022

Call: N6WM
Operator(s): N6WM WD6T
Station: N6RO

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Oakley CA - 6
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Remote Operation

  160:     9     0      4        1
   80:    76     0     13        5
   40:   327    74     36       26
   20:   387   295     43       41
   15:   472   172     38       40
   10:    21     0     10        2
-------------------------------------
Total:  1292   541    144      115  Total Score = 1,595,181

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

First id like to thank Dave WD6T for joining me as part of a serious 2 person
team operating this contest.  this was a combined remote and on site operation
for both Dave and I, favoring remoting in during some of the nocturnal portions
of the contest, and onsite for a bit on Saturday.

Original plan was to do a low power WRTC practice, but discussions with Dave led
us to take on the draconian M/S category as a 2 person team(more on this later)
for.. More.. Power.

Its rough enough from North W6, and we decided (possibly incorrectly due to good
condx) that we wanted every west coast advantage possible.

Conditions- A summertime surprise
10m was a disappointment.. but the AMAZING 15m conditions made it less an issue,
15m seemed to be open globally all over the world for a good chunk of this
contest making it our primary workhorse band.
20m seemed open to EU around the clock.. was a bit noisy at times with static
crashes.
40m.. as we moved lower in the band, some of the expected northern hemisphere
qrn became apparent, but was not as bad to asia pac..  WD6T worked the 40m EU
opening on their sunrise and was able to S&P almost every spotted mult.
80m had us leveraging our new JK 801 @ 160ft to squeeze in a few of the loudest
EU mults, band became noisy later encouraging favor of 40m for a near constant
stream of 5 pointers.
160m- noisy... a few mults.  summer.

Operator Comments.
I think I can safely speak for both of us that conditions for the test were
unexpectedly stellar overall.  I will endorse WD6T comments on the M/S
category.

per WD6T-- he M/S category, as currently defined in this contest needs an
overhaul.  It would be much better if it were possible to work mults on another
band/mode.  Alternatively, just remove the band change restrictions from M/S. As
it stands, an M/S  will typically score lower than an SO2R Single Op, which
makes no sense.

per N6WM-- Agreed.  Why make this contest less fun.  not having a mult station
as per the rules, COMBINED with the 10m rule in the M/S category makes no sense,
given the cluster can be used, and High power is coded into the rules. ARRL CAC
please take note and make this category more engaging!!!!

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs.  Shout out to N6RO, K3EST and W6DMW for your
support and encouragement for our 2 person operation. and Thanks (as always) to
the legendary N6RO for the use of the Northern CA superstation

73 and seeya next time

for N6WM and WD6T,  CU in upcoming NAQPs.

Chris N6WM