[3830] CWopsT KF6NCX Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ncx4kf6@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CWopsT KF6NCX Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 00:24:12 +0000
                    CWops Test (CWT) - 0300Z Jul 14

Call: KF6NCX
Operator(s): KF6NCX
Station: KF6NCX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: SV
Operating Time (hrs): 1

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  21
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  21  Mults = 21  Total Score = 441

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks very much for the QSOs.  I know I could have done a bit better had it not
been for a mishap well along the way.  My logging system does not allow for
creating an elaborate analysis of my performance, at least as far as I know.
However, with the CWT, it's pretty easy to do an analysis on paper.  I divided
the hour into six 10-minute sections and then looked at my Cabrillo file to see
how many qsos I made per section.

For me, at this point, a good goal is 20 qsos in the one hour, which would mean
I'd need to make three qsos per time section with at least two of the six rising
to four qsos.

When I analyzed my score, I saw that I achieved that goal, getting three Qs
during the first and third sections and four during the second and sixth.  I
made hay during the fourth 10-minute time segment, making six contacts!
However, I fell behind in the fifth segment, from 1940 to 1950, only garnering
one Q.

What happened during that fifth segment?  I made a fatal mistake.  Or a couple.
The Kenwood TS590SG has a button to push when hearing a CW signal and it
achieves zero-beat instantly!  However, if more than one signal is present it
can "hear" the wrong signal, latch onto it and throw things off.
That's what happened maybe around 1931 or so.  (I did S&P the whole time.)
At this point I was on the trail of a nice strong signal, but a push of the
button sent me scrambling.  Suddenly it was gone.  I spent precious minutes
looking for it again (a bad mistake).  By the time I recovered and got after
someone else, the 10 minutes had nearly elapsed.  A good lesson learned: don't
use the button so cavalierly.

I was once asked why I don't make more qsos in these CWTs.  My scores have
improved, but I realize what is still missing is an ability to hear a call and
copy it instantly.  It's still often taking more than one hearing to copy the
call. Ditto with names and sometimes numbers, too.  More practice needed.  73,
Larry