[3830] CQWW VHF W3SO Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3idt@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF W3SO Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 22:46:30 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2022

Call: W3SO
Operator(s): W3BTX W3SF W3XOX W3IDT
Station: W3SO

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: wpa
Operating Time (hrs): 16

    6:  205    91
    2:  122    52
-------------------
Total:  327   143  Total Score = 64,207

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A perfect example of why the CQ Contest Committee (and the ARRL Contest Advisory
Committee) should accept my long-standing proposal to permit multiple contacts
per station per band in VHF contests; specifically, one contact per station
using CW, SSB, and any Digital mode, with differential point values for each
mode.

Contest started with 40 odd contacts on SSB on 6 meters in roughly the first
hour; not great, but respectable for VHF contesting. But then, 2 total 6 meter
SSB contacts the rest of the contest. 2 meters had a total of 12 SSB contacts -
in a contest usually dominated by 2 meters contacts.

Two notable examples of what is wrong with the total reliance on FT8:

1. Starting about 0130Z Sunday (9:30pm Saturday local WPA time) Eskip FT8
signals started increasing considerably. By 0200, many were in the +5 to +15
range. Time for SSB guys and gals, especially if kind-off adhering to the
"even-hour SSB, odd-hour CW" convention. During the next 15 or 20
minutes, a grand total of 2 contacts were made - both Eskip in TX and FL (from
our perch in WPA) - each with S9++ signals. Where was everyone? (Yea, I know, on
FT8.)

2. At about 1830Z or so Sunday morning, the Eskip map was empty (at least over
the entire North-East) and FT8 decodes were almost non-existent: Time to move to
CW and/or SSB for the usual "local" W1, W2, W3, W4, and W8 crowd. Nary
a signal to be found. Where was everyone (Yea, I know, still on FT8)

Two clear missed opportunities for CW/SSB contacts.

In addition to the lament above, other notes:

Too many people still using funny numbers on FT8.
Quick switching between NA-VHF and regular modes salvaged most contacts.

2 meters got through to EN41 and EN42 on the IL / IA border.
6 meters worked TG, CO, and several XEs. No other DX from WPA.

We shut down about 1/2 hour early due to arrival of a big lightning storm.
Not nice being on a mountain top with lightning.

Bob, w3idt
for the Wopsononock Mountaintop Operators