[3830] CQWW VHF KG9OV/R Rover HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, contest@kg9ov.org
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF KG9OV/R Rover HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 17:51:05 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2022

Call: KG9OV/R
Operator(s): KG9OV
Station: KG9OV/R

Class: Rover HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  113    91
    2:   77    63
-------------------
Total:  190   154  Total Score = 41,118

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Even though the last outing for the rover was only a month ago, there
were several changes to the setup prior to CQWW.  New batteries dedicated
to the rover station completely isolating it from the vehicle electrical
system.  A new inverter/charger to maintain the batteries and run AC
loads. A generator for battery charging as needed while stopped.  N8XJK
boosters to stabilize the DC supply to radios / amplifiers. Probably
something else I'm forgetting, but those are the major changes.

For this outing, I decided to stay a little closer to home and spend less
time on the road.  After getting the last couple items into the van on
Saturday morning, I set out for the EN50-EN51-EN60-EN61 corner.  The
drive ended up taking a little longer than expected, but still arrived
to my first stop with plenty of time to get setup before the start of
the contest.

Things got off to a pretty good start working several of the usual
suspects locally.  While six was open to the east coast and/or Florida
most of the day, the rolling conditions were exhausting at times.  I
was able to work some folks on phone, but as usual many seem glued to
FT8.  Called CQ on phone several times with very few takers.  Overall,
Saturday went pretty well, was rather enjoyable (the real point of all
this right?), and ended up with ~150 Qs in the log.

After catching a few ZZZs overnight, I was back on the road headed to
the EM58-EM59-EM68-EM69 corner just before dawn Sunday morning.  This
was a new corner for me and the only scouting was via Google maps.
So, this one would be a bit of an adventure.  There were storms in
the forecast for the day across the midwest, so it was bound to be
interesting.  The one time you want the weatherman to be wrong never
seems to work out.  The sun had barely come up and I still wasn't close
to my first planned stop when the rain started.  There were several
rounds of pretty heavy rain and storms throughout the day, but most
of the time it was just raining enough to be annoying... and keep me
from running the generator pretty much all day.  The bands seemed to
be just as bad as the weather.  There were a few very sporadic
openings throughout the day, but mostly it was just working the locals.

Then with about two hours to go in the contest my six meter antenna
decided it didn't want to be an antenna anymore.  RX seemed to be OK,
but the SWR was off the charts.  That was enough for me... I decided
to pack it up and head toward home a little earlier than planned.

In the end, it wasn't all bad.  I ended up beating my own score from
last year (improvement, yay!) and I got to see how the new additions
to the rover all play together in an actual contest.  Thanks
everyone for the Qs and see y'all in the next one.

Gear:
Flex 6600 / Q5 Signal 5BVUX
50  - Par Moxon @ 18’
144 - Directive Systems  6el Rover Yagi @ 12’