[3830] CQWW VHF K2DRH SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2drh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K2DRH SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 07:17:21 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2022

Call: K2DRH
Operator(s): K2DRH
Station: K2DRH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: EN41vr
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  304   134
    2:  119    66
-------------------
Total:  423   200  Total Score = 108,400

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

That was painful for a lot of reasons. I tried climbing to fix my 6M 2x11 array
(tests indicate a bad connector up the tower) a few days before and only made it
about 40 feet before my leg left nerves screamed out from the sciatica caused by
my accident last year.  It’s been much better walking and I’d thought it was
OK, but climbing apparently aggravates it.  Quickly and a lot! The closest
connector at the rotor loop is at 80 feet.  6M Prop was terrible on Saturday and
even worse Sunday.  I was encouraged to hear 6M open on light Es to W1 right at
the start.  But it ebbed and flowed back and forth just enough for me to keep
trying SO2VFO during the first hours, but with just no depth at all.  Sadly
those would be the best rates of the contest.

And though there was no indication of good 2M prop from Hepburn or APRS,
apparently the first two hours while I was flailing on 6 were the best hours for
2M of the contest though there was practically no analog activity on my
bandscope.  I stated concentrating on 2M FT8 in the third hour but I was already
behind the 8 ball.  Comparing notes with AC0RA about 60 miles to my west later
that day showed that he had been running away with it by doing FT8 on 2M and
also running 6M on the opposite sequence (with 2 rigs and a TX lockout) right
from the start. I was hoping with a little hot 6M prop with my 8x7 array I might
be able to catch up.  Never happened.  Ms was much better this year.

Now with WSJT dominating contests with poor prop I obviously need to up my game
so I have separate 6 and 2M rigs for WSJT rather than just separate slices on a
single Flex 6700 that really can’t effectively alternate TX sequences and
still hear well.  That and a high power 2M bandpass filter to keep out the hash
from the 6m TX.  Not sure what I’m gonna do about the 2M mast mount preamp and
RF overload protection for the GAsFETS from adjacent 6M high power TX on the
same tower (I just switch it out and relay isolation protects it when I TX on 6M
now).  It’s a brave new world!
73 de Bob

Contest: CQWWVHF
 Band   Mode  QSOs     Pts  Grd  Pt/Q