[3830] SS CW K4HQK Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW K4HQK Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 02:02:14 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2022

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 13

------------
  160:    0
   80:   94
   40:   70
   20:  141
   15:   27
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I operated once again in S&P mode, although next time I plan to try running
for at least a portion of the contest so I could raise my QSO count. Instead of
pursuing a large QSO count this time I went looking for sections and nabbed 79,
missing only LAX, BC, MB, NL and NT.

The 20m and 15m bands were most productive for contacting the western sections,
of course, as were the 80m and 40m bands for the East and Central U.S. and
Canadian sections. I did, however, work some of the East Coast Canadians on 20m
and 15m.

I found the most productive periods for a higher QSO rate to be at the beginning
and end of the contest. Activity seemed slower during Sunday daytime, which
picked up again after dark.

It was frustrating to work all but one U.S. section—LAX, of all things!—and
to feel as if I were wandering around lost in the woods as I tried to find
Canadians. I’m now considering a change next year to the “Single Operator,
Unlimited” category, which would allow use of a spotting application.

John K4HQK
Alexandria, Virginia

Station: IC-7410, Ameritron ALS-600 amp, Cushcraft R6000 vertical, and a 40m
dipole.