[3830] CQWW CW TO5Z(N6GQ) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kinzli@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW TO5Z(N6GQ) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 13:40:58 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: TO5Z
Operator(s): N6GQ
Station: FM5BH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: FM
Operating Time (hrs): 36
OpMode: SO2R
Remote Operation

  160:  161    10       28
   80:  603    17       66
   40: 1233    28       83
   20: 1553    33       89
   15: 1618    27       81
   10: 1083    24       86
------------------------------

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

Big thanks to Laurent, FM5BH and his wife Micheline. The stay was wonderful and
the station worked exceedingly well! My new favorite DX location!

This trip was a bit of a celebration. 4 years ago (just before K6XX and I were
to head to DL for WRTC) I was diagnosed with head and neck cancer, the same type
of cancer that took my mom's life only a few months before. The treatment is
horrible and I have been recovering ever since. Last year (during COVID) we
ventured out a bit and went to VP9GE's place for CQWW SSB and CW and I did a
casual low power entry for both of those. This year we decided to venture out a
bit more and so I came to FM and did a SOAB HP effort, after doing SSB at PJ2T.
Again, casual. This was also sort of a ham radio honeymoon, my lovely bride
Julia and I were married during COVID, and while we've done a fair bit of
international travel since we were married this still counted as sort of a
honeymoon (there are beaches here). She's a trooper for coming along and
watching me play radio all weekend!

The station worked wonders - no equipment issues and I felt loud always.
Developing a pileup took only 1-3 CQs and the pileups never stopped. I had a
terrible time with zerobeat pileups - when 30-50 stations are all zerobeat at
the same S9+ signal its almost impossible to pull a call out. So I tune off to
the side and catch the ones who know not to click and call. It was fun though,
and I love rate - which is what I was going for rather than anything else.
Score-wise I'm happy, I set a minimum goal of 6000 QSOs and 8M points, and both
were met. I did sleep quite a bit though...

We had done a fair amount of sight seeing on the days leading up, even did a
swim-with-turtles snorkeling trip - super awesome. But when the contest started
I was TIRED. I never really recovered. Stayed up the first night til about 3AM
localtime and then got up at 6AM to catch the sunrise. The second night I went
to bed around 11:30PM and slept til 6AM. I also found myself taking lots of
breaks mid-contest to just walk around.

A great time, great pileups, and thanks for all the calls and hellos from many
friends around the world who enjoy this great hobby.

FTDX3000 X 2
OM2500 + OM2501
160: Inverted L
80: Dipole