[3830] CQWW CW VE3NNT SO(A)SB40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lesbrown@sympatico.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE3NNT SO(A)SB40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 18:29:00 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: VE3NNT
Operator(s): VE3NNT
Station: VE3NNT

Class: SO(A)SB40 HP
QTH: FN14cm
Operating Time (hrs): 26
Remote Operation

  160:
   80:
   40: 1868    30      104
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1868    30      104  Total Score = 660,218

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I haven't completely recovered from our tornado hit in May. I have no 160m
antenna. Since power was restored this summer, I now have a very high noise
floor (almost S8) on 15m making the band unusable. Given this, I decided to try
a single band effort this year, settling on 40m.

I was wondering why I had to correct my call sign for so many callers the first
night. I didn't clue in until Saturday morning when I woke up to continue. It
turns out that when I upgraded the software on my Flex Maestro, it set the
transmit delay to 0ms, so I was trying to run full QSK causing characters to get
chopped up. The relays on my Flex6600 and PGXL must have been going nuts.
Operating remote, I didn't see or hear it, although it did seem a little strange
that, when transmitting, my receiver wasn't completely silent. I ended up with a
lot of dupes (45), which I accepted since I assumed that they didn't get my call
sign correct the first time. Once I set the transmit delay back to about 200ms,
everything settled down.

The internet behaved relatively well this weekend. It was only for a short time
on Sunday afternoon when the received signal became choppy due to packet losses,
which made me ask for repeats on call signs several times.

I'm afraid that I slept in Sunday morning and missed most of the opening to
Asia, so I lost a lot of multipliers and contacts. I don't know what time the
opening started, but I only got on at 9 am (14:00 GMT). I heard lots of good
multipliers, but they quickly faded out.

Hopefully, I'll get my antenna and noise situation sorted out next spring when
we open the cottage so I can do an all-band session next year.