[3830] CQWW CW 3B8M M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, olof@rowanhouse.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 3B8M M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 20:27:16 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: 3B8M
Operator(s): G0CKV K0AV KX7M M0SDV W6NV DK6SP
Station: 3B8M

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Mauritius
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   315    14       53
   80:   747    32       94
   40:  1904    36      119
   20:  2968    39      131
   15:  3303    38      135
   10:  3025    33      122
-------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

We were back with 3B8M for CQWWCW 2022 with some improvements and with another
great team. This is a wires and poles field-day-style operation and there is
quite some effort and planning involved in putting together a M/M operation on a
remote site far away from home. This makes it more challenging but in the end
also more fun and satisfying - anticipating and planning and then executing and
hopefully, succeeding. Antennas and stations have to be assembled and installed
in the days before the contest and quickly dismantled afterwards. Add to that
the learning and finding out what could be done better next time and we are
ready for another cycle.

Propagation conditions were fine. We had anticipated even better though - 10 and
15 opened later and closed earlier than we had planned/hoped. Ambitiously we
built 5 stations this time. As usual we used K3 radios and SPE amplifiers and
they performed well. WinTest has served us well for years but this year we
boldly stepped up to DXLog and we had no issues at all, the network and software
was stable.

Antennas are all wires on Spiderbeam poles. Three 18m poles support a toploaded
160m vertical, an 80m inverted L and a 40m vertical dipole. They are all at the
edge of the Indian Ocean with a good takeoff all-around. The 40m dipole is
standing on a rock out in the lagoon. For the HF bands 10-15-20 we used
2-element vertical wire yagis often called VDAs (Vertical Dipole Array). We are
experimenting with different configurations - new this year was a horizontal
stack of two VDAs which we could run both in-phase, out-of phase and
individually.

We believe we have a decently low local noise level as measured on the low bands
daytime when there is no propagation. Being in the tropics the atmospheric noise
level increases dramatically at sunset when long-distance propagation starts.

It can be frustrating and very hard work digging out signals on the low bands.
It appears that our verticals by/in the sea perform very well and that we are
heard - it is however difficult to dig out average stations from the noise on
receive. This year we built a K9AY receive antenna on another rock in the lagoon
and we achieved some marginal improvement. We have ideas to improve further for
next year.

Check our 3B8M soapbox for 2021, it tells a more detailed story. You will find
it here: https://www.3830scores.com/showrumor.php?arg=dDa5zKsimqyvX .

New this year was also some social media presence, see
https://www.facebook.com/3B8Mauritius and https://www.twitter.com/3B8Mauritius
.

On social media you will find a video

Last year I was astounded that we worked 96 stations on 6 bands. So I guess that
I am even more astounded this year since we worked 118 stations on all bands:

K0RF        OM7M.       YT5A        UP2L        DK9IP       TM6M
DP7D        CR3W        LZ9W        DA2X        DF0HQ       IR4X
YL2SM       UA4M        OH5Z        G5W         9A1A        K1TTT
DR0W        K3LR        TK0C        SP8R        K1LZ        NU4E
ES7A        DK8ZZ       RU1A        UW5Y        9A7A        TM2Y
IR4M        ES9UKR      PA5KT       LZ5R        OH3GD       RT4F
P33W        E7DX        VE3EJ       SN5N        SJ2W        M6T
ED1R        EA5RS       OT7T        LN8W        II9P        LY2SA
HG6N        AC4G        DR4A        RT4G        IO1T        EA5KM
KC1XX       DP6A        DL3UB       DA0T        DP9A        DD2D
CR3DX       OL3Z        OH1F        OE5TXF      UA6GO       I2WIJ
OK7O        R2AA        DL1NKS      SO4M        E2A         OH9W
E2X         SP4Z        CN3A        3B9KW       A44A        SX9V
HB9CA       RX9WN       SZ1A        R6AF        YL2KO       SM2U
IB1D        S57MPU      OZ5W        RL5A        9A5RTW      TM7A
RY3D        DJ5MN       DK5MV       DN5TD       DN5JD       SP1NY
II2S        HG8R        OH3JR       OM7K        EA5O        DL5RBW
DL0XAX      SN7Q        M7W         LY4A        DL2OE       SE0X
DJ3TF       UA2FZ       WX1S        IK0XBX      IK1PMR      DJ5AN
3B8HH       LZ8A        CU2DX       SQ1X

Thanks for the QSOs - we had fun working you. C u agn nxt yr!