[3830] CQWW CW KF6NCX SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW KF6NCX SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 19:33:06 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: KF6NCX
Operator(s): KF6NCX
Station: KF6NCX

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 8.25

  160:
   80:    3     2        2
   40:   13     6        7
   20:   39    11       15
   15:   43    10       12
   10:   34    15       17
------------------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Boy, that was fun.  I got to put my new portable hexbeam (a Buddihex) to work
in this contest.  It seemed to work great (although I realize there are so many
variables it's very hard to make comparisons).  What I seemed to notice was
that it keeps things very quiet, so hearing distant stations sending cw was
optimal.  Really a different kind of experience from using the wire aerial.
(Or so it seemed  -- a healthy skepticism is a good thing).

Going into this contest, I was a little apprehensive because my KPA500 amp is
not working and is headed to the shop. I would be limited to 100 watts.  My
son, Jevon, KE6YLH, cheered me up, saying he suspected that with the better
antenna (the hexbeam) I'd probably do about as well as I would were I using the
amp, even though I was actually running low power.  His guess seemed about
right.  I was able to hear lots of dx stations and could work almost everyone I
heard.
It was great being able to rotate the antenna.  I pointed northeast in the
morning to work Europe, south for a while in the afternoon to work South America
and later in the afternoon, east to work Asia.

I got some new countries in this contest and got a kick out of working a few
African stations -- mostly the usual suspects: Cape Verde and the Madeira
Islands, but also a newcomer (to me) -- Morocco.  Thanks for the qsos! 73,
Larry