[3830] CQWW CW WO1N SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW WO1N SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 19:42:03 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MASSACHUSETTS
Operating Time (hrs): 32.5

  160:   50    13       24
   80:  120    15       57
   40:  151    20       72
   20:  250    29       94
   15:  305    25       87
   10:  200    22       77
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station: FTdx5000,C3-SS@38',40MDi@50',80MK2KQ,InvL,N1MM+

 I hope you all had as much fun as I had in this one. The
slightly better solar conditions, the skimmer network and
some judicious filtering yielded a non stop supply of workable
multipliers. To the point it affected my potential total as
a few more hours running really would have sent the score soaring.
It was good for 3 new band countries in the end.

 Actually BIC time affected the final score more so, several
interruptions Saturday afternoon hurt. SH5 says 32.5 hours though
I did make Qs in 42 out of the 48 hours.

 Prep for this one only included setting up the seasonal Inverted L.
That was good for 50Q/13Z/24C. Low power. It played pretty well
and I haven't even finished laying out all the radials I can fit in
my yard.

 I also deployed a shielded loop for receive. I have had consistently
good results using this over the years. It proved its worth yet again
transforming a WH7 from not copiable to arm chair copy at our sunrise.

 Saturday seemed to offer slightly better propagation and/or
activity. A few of us noticed slight echos on many Eu stations.
We are guessing we were hearing short and long path signals.

 Best hour was Saturday with 137Q. I was not able to reproduce these
rates on Sunday. Run attempts on Sunday only yielded a best 85Q hour.
Low bands were good but I could not get any runs going to speak of.

 Zone 40 proved for some enjoyable moments. There was a roaring
pileup on a TF3 Sunday morning, 20M/Zone40. I thought hell no I'm
not jumping into that mess. Clicked on a 4L2 spot and right on top
of him was a JW8 double mult. Worked the JW8 for Zone 40 with one
call. A few minutes later I worked the 4L2 once they sorted out
who owned what. Later in the day I got the TF3 for the country
mult. Life is good.

 Under the heading "dodged a bullet", once the sun set on Sunday
afternoon some massive interference started on 10M. 10 was pretty
much closed at my QTH, so I didn't miss anything. The interference
features impressive square waves every few KHz. So much so I took
a picture of the SDR display. I'm guessing the source will be
found to be our next door neighbor's Christmas decorations they
were setting up earlier in the day.

 I worked 10 stations on 6 bands with the YCCC team at HQ9X being
the first. Another 17 stations on 5 bands and 26 stations on 4
bands.

 Some of my un-diagnosed OCD is evident by my band totals.
I like to cap them at 5Q intervals. I had 150Qs on 40M with about
2 minutes to go. I was about to wrap it when looking at the score
I realized one more Q would give me 1.6M. LoL. Scrambled to find
a workable station and as you might know that last minute or two
on 40M is massively frenetic. I finally found a workable station
and the score rolled over to 1.6M. Cool. Attempted another Q but
by the time I hit the enter key the clock had rolled over. Had to
delete the Q. So 151Qs it is.

 Like I stated earlier, this one was so much fun.

 73,

 Ken - WO1N