[AMPS] Just in time

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Just in time
From: kb7ww@chatusa.com (Arthur Moe)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 05:58:40 -0800
Ron I can help you take care of the antenna switching .  First I
would NOT use an small open frame realy to do the switching
The reason that I say that is I have replaced to many of them over
the years Heath Swan Dentron makes no difference.  I have three
QRO amps here one for HF, 6 mtrs, 2mters, and they all use coax
realys they cost more but they last a lot longer.  I have a Dentron
DTR 2000L (8877) and when the realy in died I put in coax realys.
My other amps are 8877 also and again IMHO the only way to
is coax realy.

If you need one please send E-Mail I have some Dow Key made
to do just that job.

art
KB7WW

----------
To: <amps@contesting.com>
> Date: Friday, February 21, 1997 8:55 PM
>
> It's nearly Spring, the ARRL CW test is behind us, and the XYL wants to
know what I plan to do with that 40 inch high pile of junk in the closet.
Why, Lady, that's a Homebrew Amplifier with 4-400s! Those bottles glow in
the dark! Real Amateurs don't buy power thru mail order...they build it.
Said she, that thing's been in that closet for six months! You said
yourself it was 35 years old and built to electrocute the first person that
touched the chassis and a water pipe at the same time.

> So, it's time to become a mechanic again. I just bought the 1995 edition
of Bill Orr's Radio Handbook and now this forum comes around. Good timing.
Thanks in advance to all of those who will offer advice in the months to
come (and even to those to whom flaming is second nature).

> Q.   Radio Shack has a 12 VDC relay with contacts rated at 15 amps/125
VAC. What would one consider to be the max RF wattage to attempt with this
relay? (It will used only temporarily during tests and I can control the
output with my variac power supply).

> Q. The Beast uses a pair of 4-400A's in GG; I've seen many circuits both
with and without cutoff bias. Not considering the technical merits, what
have you personally experienced as the pros and cons? I.E. will the coffee
cook faster at a high idling current?