[AMPS] New 3-500Z

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] New 3-500Z
From: AB4RU@stc.net (Ron Hooper)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 00:32:55 +0000
Ken Anderson wrote:

> I can't comment on the quality of current production Amperex tubes.
> But, I have a pair manufactured in the late 60's in a HB version of a
> Henry 3K.  These tubes have thousands of hours of serious
> contesting and DXing on them without a failure.  N6RO did manage to
> blow a plate choke and a spider blew a bypass cap but no tube
> problems.
>
> The word when I built the amplifier was use a lot of air on the tubes.
> I run chimneys and a pressurized lower chassis with an
> oversize blower.
>
> Ken, K6PU

Hi Ken,
 Your right about the tube being tough. I think Carl hit on something
about the tube being more sensitive, causing problems with
neutralization in some amps. The Carbon tube we ran in the sealing
equipment were harder to drive but I am sure it wasnt the same tube.
The amount of overload was much higher than what a contest could put on
them. These units had large blowers and forced the air up from the under
compartment into a chimney. I think the IMD rating would be something to
worry about if you were going to run them in a linear fashion. I never
though to compare them with other tubes since I never ran any on the ham
bands. I had several new tubes but I prefered the 4cx tubes and high
gain at the time.
Ron W4WA