[AMPS] Salt Water Dummy Load

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Salt Water Dummy Load
From: jfitz@albany.net (Joe Fitzgerald)
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 19:12:19 -0800
I seem to remember hearing a reference to dummy loads made with salt
water as the resistor.  Does anyone have any experience with one of
these and would it be practical to build one?  Maybe put 10 gallons of
water in a plastic trash can and drop a few electrodes in it, add salt
until the DVM reads 50 ohms? I am building an 8877 amp and would like to
test it under key down conditions, and I don't think the typical one
gallon paint pail filled with transformer oil well dissapate enough
heat.  Plus ... I am cheap!

I am of course open to other ideas about how to dissapate 1500W for an
extended period - say 30 minutes or an hour.

-Joe