[AMPS] some basic questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] some basic questions
From: w1vxv@juno.com (w1vxv@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 19:06:32 EST
I'm a newcomer to this group, and to the use of amps in general.  (Active
for 40 years but always using a home-brew rig at less than 75-100 watts,
or more recently a solid-state Kenwood rig.  Originally EVERYTHING was
homebrew and was a lot of fun; but as you get older the eyes start to
fail badly!)  Last spring I purchased a new appearing LZ500ZC and drove
it on RTTY and SSB with a TS440S.   Antenna tuner was a KW tuner by MFJ.
  All went fine for about 5 months with good reports and results.  Then
arcing occurred in the tuner so I stopped using the amp.  Investigation
shows some pitting on the variable capacitor, which I know that I can
smooth out.

I suspect parasitics were the cause and I have purchased a kit from Rick
Measures which I have yet to install.  My questions are these:

1)      Why did all go well for a while and then go to he#$  in a
hand-basket?

2)      Are parasitics the probable cause, and will the Measures kit
solve it permanently?

3)      What else should I be doing?  I am NOT using a scope during
tune-up; some comments indicate that is strongly recommended.

4)      Could the TS440S be overdriving the LZ500ZC?

Thanks in advance for your help.

73,

Bob - W1VXV