[AMPS] HV SAG ON PS

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV SAG ON PS
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:48:22 EST
I have a few questions:

1.  Are the rectifiers SS or tubes?
2.  Was the transformer originally built for a Full Wave tube rectifier?
That is with a center tap.
3.  The AC line is measured right at the transformer terminals?

Using an old tube era transformer with SS diodes in a full wave bridge
can cause the symptoms you describe due to a high series impedence. A
modern xfmr designed for a FW bridge, with standard E-I laminations,  is
capable of excellent regulation. I have one here that is 3900VDC no load.
At a 1A load it is 3600V and at close to 2A it is 3400V. The transformer
has a 2A ICAS rating and the filter cap is 24MF oil filled @ 4KV. It has
been used for over 6 years in some serious VHF work with nary a problem.

73...Carl   KM1H