[AMPS] Voltage sag - reality.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Voltage sag - reality.
From: k7fr@concord.televar.com (Gary Nieborsky)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 12:02:19 -0800 (PST)
For general purposes the incoming service voltage to a house will not drop
appreciably for most applied loads.   I'm assuming that the serving utility
is providing a decent level of voltage to begin with. Most of any drop seen
up to the meter base is found in the service conductor.  A little is
contributed by the service transformer.  From the panel to the load is where
the drop gets significant.  Most 240V powered amps draw less than 20A
(ignoring in-rush) so are fed by #12awg.  A significant run of #12 will give
you some healthy voltage drop. My suggestion for amp supply circuits is to
use #10 as a minimum, #8 is even better.  Oh yes,  seperate circuits for
each amp.

73 Gary K7FR