[AMPS] RE voltage sag

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RE voltage sag
From: dbr@alumni.caltech.edu (David B. Ritchie)
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 20:23:55 -0800 (PST)

For what it is worth -- I built a rather vanilla HV power supply with HUGE
variac input to a Peter Dahl 3000 V 1.5A CCS transformer -- some reasonable
amount of capacitance, bleeder resistors, etc. for my 8877 single tube
6 meter amp.  If I dial it in at 4200 VDC (noload) it will sag to exactly
4000 VDC CW key down at well shy of 1 amp of plate current.  So I guess
I am lucky that I don't have all of these regulation problems.  I haven't
tried looking at what it does to the line supplying the house, just the
DC supply.  On the air, no problema.

I do not like choke input systems like Henry because they (in my experience
only) aren't very reliable.  One October I had to go over to N6VI/KH6
and he had floor console type Henry 3000 Classics -- 5 or 6 or them.  These
all have the choke input -- a big choke and a big cap.  About three of
them had burned out (i.e., OPEN) chokes and wouldn't work.  I rewired
the power supplies to avoid the choke, use the cap and they worked fine
on the low power/low voltage setting.

Chokes are expensive to replace and are very heavy and well made
capacitor input supplies work just fine.

Dave N7UE

On
Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Bill Turner wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Mar 1997 19:12:54 -0800, Hakan Ericsson <sm3lbn@swipnet.se> wrote:
>
> >Hi folks.
> >Tom W8IJ says regarding HV-power supply voltage drops.
> >
> ><It is very typical to have less than 10% sag
> ><when a properly designed and constructed capacitor input supply is
> ><operated off a normal residential  power line.
> >
> >Well,,I'm not a technical guru so the only thing I can do is to
> >look in ARRL handbooks (or similar) and read transformer manufacturers
> >specs. Also I look at the factory amps folks are using in there shacks.
> >Not often, or more right to say never have I seen an amp with less than
> >10 percent voltage drop. My friends AL1200 has more, and he is not able
> >to get full US legal limit because to less drive, So he does'nt suck
> >maximum current. (Yea,, I know some of it has to do with some drop of
> >voltage from the house power line)
> >More typical in real life is that amps PS drops abt. 15-20 percent.
> >What do you say folks out there, do you look at your HV meters??
> My AL-1200 under full power drops from 3500v to 3200v.  9.4%.
>
> 73, Bill W7TI
> wrt@eskimo.com
>
> --

David B. Ritchie, Esq.
D'Alessandro & Ritchie, P.C. -- Intellectual Property Lawyers
3521 E. Yorkshire Road, Pasadena, CA  91107-5432
818-683-8800 (TEL)   818-683-8900 (FAX)   dbr@alumni.caltech.edu