[AMPS] Icom 756

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Icom 756
From: dick.green@valley.net ("Dick Green".)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 23:56:49 -0500
Wow. Is all that circuitry really necessary? I built a pretty simple solid
state interface between my TS940S (and, later, TS950SDX) and my SB-221 when
I did Rick Measures' QSK mod. Following Rick's design, I used only one
small bipolar transistor and a couple of resistors acting as a voltage
divider. Of course, the SB-221 mod included dropping the relay voltage down
to 24V from 115V and the Jennings vacuum relay probably draws a lot less
current than the L4B relay. But you could always use a bigger bipolar. Now
I use a small variation on the circuit to drive my 87A's 5V T/R sensor (and
another one to mute my DSP 59+.)

With all the QSK amps around these days, it's a wonder that the
top-of-the-line transceivers don't include solid state amp switching with
current overload protection and variable voltage selection.

73, Dick, WC1M

To: <amps@contesting.com>
> Date: Thursday, March 20, 1997 12:40 AM
>
> JOHN BASILOTTO wrote:
> >
> > I have an Icom 756. I was using it with a Drake L4B. At first
everything was
> > fine; after about 30 days the reed relay in the Icom froze stuck. The
Icom