[AMPS] L4-B mod

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] L4-B mod
From: QROKING@aol.com (QROKING@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 08:20:31 -0500 (EST)
Ok fellas, lets let Heath, Ameritron and kenwood off the hook for a moment
and lets look at the Drake L4-B.  My guess is that this unit can easily
handle 4000 volts on the plate instead of there mere 2600 that is stock.  I
am thinking of doing this, but I think their method of bias is not
appropriate for the high voltage, they do not use a zener diode, looks like
put 125 volts from the bleeder string.  I think the better way to go would be
the zener as the newer amps do.  Question is here, Is 8.2 volt zener the
right one to use or does it need to be higher like 12volts?  Any
recommendations?  I am sure someone out there has done this since it seems
like an easy way to get 1500 watts from a pair of 3-500,s.....Seems a though
the rest of the components could handle the job. Thanks.......Dont think I'll
need any popcorn for this one. Who knows?  Ferdie how do you see it so far?
 Tough one to call here...73 LOU