[AMPS] more db's

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] more db's
From: sm3lbn@swipnet.se (Hakan Ericsson)
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 09:06:17 -0800
Hi folks.
N7UE wrote:

>3db is barely detectable by the human ear
>1-2 db can be measured by expensive instruments
>2db hardly seems useful on any band (of course, the first 160db may be
>VERY useful)
>Dave N7UE

Dave, you do not know what you are talking about.

Let me give you an result from a test in real life that I did on 14 MHz
SSB. (Propagations was backscatter and signal levels around S6)
I blind tested a station using my 2 amps that has a keydwn difference
in power of 2,2db.
I can switch very fast between my two amps and did it many many times.
To the other station I called the amps "the big one" and "the small
one", and he told me exactly correct every time witch one I was using.
I made short transmissions, long transmissions trying to fool him but
still he made no errors. The big amp was stronger and he could always
detect it.
Later, he got my figures and he was supprised of the difference.

I have been operating 2m EME for 9 years. On EME, one db improvement on
tx is a lot. A 3db improvement is like changing wife, a new life opens
up.

"Life is to short for QRP"
73's Hakan