[AMPS] A dB or two, is it worth it?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] A dB or two, is it worth it?
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 97 04:35:31 -0800

Amen.  One summer evening I was on 75m SSB-VOX talking to some of my
friends.  The summer static was peaking at over 300uV, so most of us had
our amplifiers on.   Then some guy with a weak signal starts yelling
Break.  We pick him up.  After several repeats we get his call and his
name straight.  He tells us that he is running 5 WATTS--like it's some
kind of big deal.  No applause.   The static crashes are burying him.  He
wants to know what we are using.  When outstanding QRP-guy finds out that
most of us are running amps he goes lock-to-talk and launches into a
painfully lengthy sermon on the evils of running "excessive power" which
breaks up the conversation we were having before he showed up.
'Tis true---Life IS too short for QRP!, John.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K