[AMPS] M/S - where to put legal limit amp vs 1kw amp?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] M/S - where to put legal limit amp vs 1kw amp?
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 09:21:44 EST
On Thu, 03 Apr 1997 22:50:26 +0000 "Alfred J. Frugoli"
<ke1fo@contesting.com> writes:
>If a Multi Single station had 1 legal limit amp, and 1 KW class amp,
>where would you put which amp?  1.5KW on the run station and 1KW on
>the
>mult station?  1KW on the run station and 1.5KW on the mult station?

There are too many variables to answer that question Al.

When this station was active in SO All Band contesting I had the 1200W
LK-500ZC   (Two 3-500Z's) amp on the run station. The LK-780 ( two
3CX800's) was on the mult radio.
My reasoning was that the 3-500's were bullet proof and could take
mistakes in tuning, particularly at 3AM when the op is usually brain dead
and uses the wrong antenna. The 3CX800's were just a bit too valuable to
leave to chance since the protection circuitry was minimal.

The strategy worked; we won contests and never lost an amp in almost 10
years.

73...Carl  KM1H