[AMPS] Highly efficient 813:s // 3CX3000 ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Highly efficient 813:s // 3CX3000 ?
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 97 11:15:15 -0800
>Einar Persson wrote:
>
>> Why has the 3CX3000 became so popular?
>
>It is a stable tube, easy to use, rebuildable, available surplus, easy
>to mount, and very very clean.
>
>> Why not use the 4CX3000 instead?
>
>It requires a socket, bias and screen supply, and often more expensive.
>At times it is  less expensive to build a small IPA stage than to build
>a PROPERLY limited and regulated screen supply.

A diagram of an RF-proof, short circuit proof, easy to buile, 723-based
screen supply that can provide up to 2kV of adjustable, regulated,
current-limited screen V is available at
http://www.vcnet.com/measures.
By adding FET pass transistors, the regulator can handle 2A for 8973
users.
 I agree with Mr. Rauch about the expense of the 8169's unique socket.
The new price IS WAY over the top and used ones are scarce.  [W6TG
(w6tg@aol.com) has 1 for sale]

 IMO, a better socket choice is the much more common Eimac SK-300A socket
  A wide range of tetrodes fit the SK-300A socket.  Obsolete SK-300
sockets can be purchased for even less money.  However, it takes a coping
saw, a vise, and about 30 minutes to convert an SK-300 to the air-flow
equivalent of an SK-300A.
 There is no screen bypass C for the SK-300.  In RF amplifier service,
the SK-300's screen collet is directly-grounded to the chassis in 8
places with copper ribbons.  A simplified diagram of the grounded-screen
configuration is available at the above URL.

Other advantages of the tetrode version are:
--no 51A filament choke
--no Q of 5 tuned input neworks, which have narrow bandwidth, and which
must be capable of carrying the 3A of RF cathode current.  .
--it's not just another ho-hum boring 12db G-G project.  My 4x3 does
18.3db, if need be.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K