[AMPS] Extra High Anode B+ and the Dentron saga...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Extra High Anode B+ and the Dentron saga...
From: mays@indigo.ucdavis.edu (Skip)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 15:51:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hello again,
I wanted to chime in with some mental notes re Dentron and other
Amplifiers which use Anode Voltage above the tube mfgrs recomendation. In
addtion to the Dentron brand, I've run across many amplifiers that have
operating anode voltages well above the mfgrs recomended max value for the
tube. I first noticed this trend in "low cost" amplifiers, but
not limited to...
Maybe the designers' thoughts were the additional voltage would provide
more gain with the lower duty cycle of SSB, but didn't want to face the fact
that most people push their amplifiers. I've never had a HV flashover
from the extra plate voltage, but the extra RF current used to knock out
doorknob caps like crazy *(Helping "Uncle Bill" on WESCARS from W6BB,
circa 1982 with the Dentron/HHH Net "work'em even if you can't hear'em
model).
The additional anode voltage is a lot easier to deal with than the poor
grid current metering and excessive fillament voltage, typical of most
Henry Brand amplifiers I've seen.

With some of us who are new here, one of you might care to mention the
what happened to Denny Haad. When I saw the Amp Supply line come out, I
was under the impression that this was the same guy from Dentron with
another company? The quick history of Amp Supply might be neat to know.

This is a serious comment, not meant anger anyone. I thought that
Dentron, Amp Supply and Ameritron were all the same people/person. I now
take it to be they are/were three seperate companies? I've never been
inside an Amp Supply or Ameritron. The above statement was made from
physical appearance of the package and product line.

Posting here or direct to me is fine, thanks

Cheers
skip   wv6f