[AMPS] EXPERIMENTAL RESULTS ON SHORTED TURNS

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] EXPERIMENTAL RESULTS ON SHORTED TURNS
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 10:10:10 EDT
I hope that Tom, Phil and others are including Jim on their replies. He
sounds like a darn good resourse for some of our more lively discussions!

73....Carl   KM1H

From: vanputten@terman.physics.hope.edu
To: ham-tech@majordomo.netcom.com
Subject: EXPERIMENTAL RESULTS ON SHORTED TURNS
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 22:55:20 -0400

While waiting for opinions on shorting unused turns of a tapped
coil, I made a couple of measurements on a 10 micro Henry rotary
inductor.  I set the inductance to 5 micro Henries and measured
the Q of the coil when it was resonanted with a 218 pF capacitor.
I drove the parallel circuit through a 1 Meg resistor and
measured the voltage across the circuit with a 10 Meg scope
probe.  I calculated the Q as the resonant frequency divided by
the width of the response at 3 db down.

The results:

Open unused turns: F=4.8236 MHz, Q = 122
Shorted turns:     F=5.2293 MHz, Q = 99

Not only did the Q decrease by about 20% but the effective
inductance also decresed by about 20%.   Unfortunately I do not
have an coil of 5 micro Henries and the same construction to test
the Q with no unused turns.

   Jim van Putten, Professor            vanputten@physics.hope.edu

   Department of Physics and Engineering       PHONE: 616-395-7513
   PO Box 9000                                   FAX: 616-395-7123
   Hope College                                               W8QT
   Holland, MI 49422-9000