[AMPS] Building my first amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Building my first amp
From: bowes@klondyke.net (Thomas Bowes)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 20:52:23 -0400
I am contemplating building my first amplifier and am looking for a bit
of advice as to things to watch out for. The amp will mostly likely be
based upon 4-1000's since they are the power tube that I have the most
of. I already have a mil-spec filament transformer, a socket, chimney,
and six 4-1000's (got 'em cheap). I would like to be able to run the amp
in sideband, AM, and CW, with the possibility of messing around with
some cathode modulation of the thing in class C mode. By all means I
want the thing to be capable of continuous duty, even though I am not
currently a contester.

Any suggestions as to what kind of voltages I should be looking for in a
transformer? I have heard tell of guys running 6000v on the plates, but
not being well versed in such things I hesitate to do so without a bit
of advice.
I have an enormous HV transformer rated at 2500 volts and about 5 amps
(or more). The voltage seems to be a bit light for 4-1000's but I
suppose that I could run a doubler. So how 'bout it folks, whadaya
think?
--
"Tom"

Thomas Bowes