Fwd: [AMPS] How do filaments break?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Fwd: [AMPS] How do filaments break?
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sat, 10 May 97 21:34:44 -0700

 Electromagnetic force occurs at a right angle to the flow of electric
current.  This is why, when arc welding with high currents, the cables
tend to twich when the arc is struck.
>Is there so much current that the filament wire separates or burns in two
>pieces?
The filament does not burn in two during an intermittent vhf parasitic
oscillation.  The filament shatters in 811As and 572Bs.  In 3-500Zs the
filament is pushed sideways at the unsupported center of the filament
helices.  This decreases the clearance between the filament and the grid.
 [9/90 QST magazine, "Parasitics Revisited".]
 Today I tested 3, 3-500Zs that were removed from an LK-550 that had
arc-damaged tune capacitor plates..  The grid/filament breakdown
potentials were 2400v, 2800v and 5100v.  However, a normal 3-500Z has a
grid/filament breakdown of 8kV to 9kV.  How about the vacuum?  Two of the
tubes exhibited under 3uA of anode/grid leakage @8800v.  The third tube
was 5uA.  In other words, the vacuums were good.
>If that is the case, where does this current come from?
The pulse of current comes from the cloud of electrons that surround the
cathode.  In a high Mu triode, oscillation with no load results in high
grid current.
>How much
>more is this current that what is flowing normally through the tube?
In 3-500Z amplifiers, it is not uncommon to see 1A grid to gnd. chokes
open during a push-push vhf parasitic.   As I recall, the fusing current
rating of #27 gauge wire it is at least 15a.  That is about 100 times
normal grid current.

...snip...
>Is there some physical oscillations that the internal structure of the
>tube
>cannot hold and the filament breaks?
IMO, there is a single pulse of EMF.
...snip...

>... the power supply
>would
>hum very loudly, the tubes glowed dull red, the meters would show current
>flow, but nothing ever flashed.  This went on for minutes while I
>determined
>what was going on.
You were apparently dealing with a push-pull parasitic oscillation.  The
anodes get hot, but nothing arcs.  In an SB-220, placing the parasitic
suppressors side by side will produce a push-pull oscillation at about
55mHz.
>And the minutes added into at least an hour or more.
>Never damaged the tubes. ......
That's the difference between the push-pull and the push-push variety.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K