[AMPS] Suppressor impedance

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Suppressor impedance
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 23:03:07 +0100
Rich Measures wrote:
>I repeatedly asked the naysayers in the Rauchian camp to design a
>suppressor (with a 0-ohm ESR Ls) that would replace the c. 5-ohm ESR
>Ni-Cr-Fe AG6K suppressor that Wes measured.

I am not in anybody's "camp". I listen to other people's evidence -
including Rich's - but I do my own independent thinking.

>Ian White announced that he
>could do so.  He did not.

Because it was a trivial exercise, not worth doing. Wes Stewart's
measurements showed that the Rp values of the AG6K suppressors and the
conventional ones were already almost the same at VHF.

If you insist, just ease the R and L values in the conventional
suppressor up/down by the few percent required to make Rp precisely the
same.

Whatever the Rp and Xp of the nichrome suppressor may be, it's always
possible to design a conventional L-R suppressor to match both
parameters exactly at one chosen frequency, and be very close across a
substantial frequency range.