[AMPS] Tetrode Amp articles needed

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Tetrode Amp articles needed
From: W6TG@aol.com (W6TG@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 20:16:14 -0400 (EDT)

<< Hi Terry,

 > I would use the power output control that is on most all the transceivers
 > these days to not drive the AB1 amp into grid current.
 > Terry - W6TG

<< I would too, if it worked properly. Unfortunately, those controls
<< more often than not allow the exciter to overshoot on leading edges.

So a external ALC circuit such as one in a AB1 amp is going to feed back to
the exciter and cut the drive from the exciter quicker ?

<< I've measured ICOMs that produce 300 watts PEP when set to 25 watts
<< output during the leading edge on SSB. My IC-706 hits 150 watts plus
<< on some bands (no matter what level I set the power control at), my
 <<FT-757 hits nearly 180 watts, but my IC 751A is OK.

This "leading edge" is still gonna be there with the alc circuit from the
amp.

<<A friends 950SDX snacks the PA with almost 300 watts on leading edges
<< with the power set at 100 watts.

<< The problem is the time constant in the internal power control system
 <<(generally ALC derived from a directional coupler at the rigs
<< output) is slower than the rise time of the envelope.

<< 73, Tom W8JI

I still suggest, to not overdrive a AB1 amp...use the power control on the
exciter.
I think some people are too close to the forest to see the trees.
Terry - W6TG