[AMPS] SB-220

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 97 21:26:01 -0700
To: <amps@contesting.com>
>> Date:          Wed, 18 Jun 97 16:52:09 +0000
>> Why screw up a near-perfect circuit? The filament transformer is specially
>> designed to be self-limiting on inrush current. The 3-500Z has instant-heat
>> filaments. You are not hurting a thing when you turn it on and off. You are
>> eliminating a major source of failure...HEAT.
>
>Hi Phil,
>
>As I understand what you are saying, you seem to be  indicating
>turning the filament off and on does not decrease tube life.
>
>If so, I disagree with that.

Eimac says that tube life will not be compromised as long as the filament
inrush overcurrent remains equal to or less than the normal current.  In
a SB-220, this is assuredly the case.

>A very common reason filaments fail is because of accumulated damage
>from constant exposure to mechanical stress from large temperature
>changes. This damage is accumulated over a period of many temperature
>cycles.

RE:  'Very common':   We have tested many failed 3-500Zs.  We have not
yet seen a 3-500Z filament fail from opening.  I find it a bit curious
that Mr. Rauch does not specify the nature of the failure.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K