[AMPS] Re: 2m legal limit amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: 2m legal limit amps
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White)
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 23:02:22 +0100
Hello Carl

>>>BUT what is the IMD if one runs say 1700V, proper drive and
>>stabilized
>>>screens?
>>
>>Worse than at 2000V for the same "attempted" power output; or
>>alternatively less output for the same general IMD levels - see below.
>
>That was not what I asked Ian  and I am sure that you know that.

I'm not trying to evade your question, Carl. Give me time to talk this
though with GW4FRX and I *will* come back to you and the group this
time. (It may take a few days, depending on what John is doing.)

However, there's one point we can clear up right now. Concerning used
tubes with some screen emission, I said:

>>If the screen supply keeps a very
>>tightly-regulated grip on the voltage for all values of screen current
>>across the drive cycle, the linearity problems shouldn't be too bad.
>
>Hmmm, last year you said quite the opposite and cautioned against any
>pull with screen emission "unless it was going to remain in FM service".

Sorry, Carl, somebody else might have said that, but I most definitely
did not. My position has always been what I said above and below.

>>On the other hand, a poorly-regulated screen supply that lets the
>>screen
>>current yank the voltage all over the place is bound to give IMD
>>problems.
>
>We finally agree on a point.

Indeed we do! I think we probably agree on some others too, but are
approaching them from different angles.

                           www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek