[AMPS] Water cooled external anodes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Water cooled external anodes
From: crb@nanoteq.com (Chris R. Burger)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:01:16 +200
Ian's explanation of the problems associated with water cooling an
external anode was interesting.  I managed to delete it before
something from my distant past crossed my mind, but here goes:

I've seen some Heath Robinson contraptions where the external anode
(i.e. the radial fins and concentric shroud) have been removed.  The
cooling water then flows around the tubular body of the tube itself,
rather than through the fins.

This idea may help to facilitate liquid cooling of CX tubes.  The
kind of figures I remember are a five-fold increase in plate
dissipation (i.e. something over a kW for a 4CX250B, yielding US
legal limit output from a single specimen!).

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ

PS A specimen is not an Italian astronaut