[AMPS] IMD Measurement Equipment

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] IMD Measurement Equipment
From: w6frmarv@juno.com (marv h. gonsior)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:55:09 EDT
Hello All,

Carl, KM1H, posted an inquiry about *good* test equipment for IMD
measurement at a reasonable price that was produced in the '60s to the
'80s.  The only one that I know of that fits the bill is the HP141T.
These are running around $1200 for a *good, clean* one at the swap meets
and quite a few of them are offered here as a result of the downsizing in
the industry.  You should be certain to get the 8552B IF, not the 8552A
version for best performance.  If you have a few extra bucks, you can
throw in an 8443A companion tracking generator (late version with the LED
readouts.......not the early one with Nixies) and be sure to get the
interconnecting cable.  These are worth about $400 but they are hard to
find in the late version.

I have discussed this problem with a very knowledgeable friend, who just
retired from HP in their instrumentation sales, who assured me that there
was no reasonable way to upgrade from my 141T without getting into very
large dollars!
That would be something like a Network Analyzer.  There isn't,
unfortunately, anything inbetween that will do the job for the
performance and cost etc. GL!

73,

Marv, W6FR