[AMPS] out of band

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] out of band
From: Peter.Chadwick@gpsemi.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 14:53:00 +0100
Tom says:

>Any emissions less than state of the art for amateur service, or
>extending out of your authorized band segment, are grounds for
>violation.

Interesting point, in that according to ITU regs, occupied bandwidth is
the bandwidth where 99% of the energy is concentrated, and in our
licence 99% of the power has to be within the allocated band. We also
have to meet the other ITU requirements, which are much tighter, at the
same time.

Current proposals, which will probably come out at WRC99 will require
all spurious emissions for amateur transmissions above 30MHz to be [-43
+ 10 log P] dB down, without being more than 70dB down. Measured at
+/-250% of the necessary bandwidth from the centre of the signal. An SSB
signal is 2.7KHz wide, so 6.75KHz from the centre of your 500 watt 2m
SSB signal, you need, referred to a 100KHz bandwidth, to  be 70dB down.
I doubt you'll do that with a pair of 4CX250R's!! Fortunately, the
implementation date for this is likely to be 2005, and we'll have
something sensible in place by 1999 to replace it. Getting something
started on this is why I was away last week, being in Geneva as part of
the UK delegation.

73

G3RZP