[AMPS] RE:Linear Amplifiers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RE:Linear Amplifiers
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 97 07:27:30 -0700
>>>Can you explain exactly what you mean by 'coherent'
>
>>a sine waveform
>
>>>and  'non-coherent'
>>>waveforms?
>>
>>A square wave would be an example of a non-coherent wave form.
>
>Rich will doubtless forgive me when I say that I find this an
>interesting and unusual definition of 'coherent' and 'non-coherent'
>waveforms. It certainly isn't the definition used in such journals as
>the IEEE Communications Transactions and the IEEE Transactions on
>Vehicular Technology.

I use the term 'coherent' to describe a waveform that contains a single
frequency.  In physics, laser light is described as 'coherent' because it
contains a single frequency.  The sine wave is the only waveform that
contains a single frequency.  The high power RF amplifiers typically used
hereabouts are capable of amplifying only sine waves, within a relatively
narrow bandwidth, which is determined by the band switch.  When I connect
an oscilloscope to the output of such an amplifier, I see nothing but
sinewaves of varying amplitude, of the same frequency.

IMO the [AMPS] mailing list is not about Class A receiving amplifiers,
distributed amplifiers, or push-pull high level audio amplifiers--i.e.,
broadband amplifiers.
-  If most of the people are trying to talk about apples, why would a few
guys insist on introducing 'evidence' about grapes?
Rich--

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K