[AMPS] linear amplifiers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] linear amplifiers
From: Peter.Chadwick@gpsemi.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 15:46:00 +0100
>I use the term 'coherent' to describe a waveform that contains a single
>frequency.  In physics, laser light is described as 'coherent' because
it
>contains a single frequency.  The sine wave is the only waveform that
>contains a single frequency.  The high power RF amplifiers typically
used
>hereabouts are capable of amplifying only sine waves, within a
relatively
>narrow bandwidth, which is determined by the band switch.  When I
connect
>an oscilloscope to the output of such an amplifier, I see nothing but
>sinewaves of varying amplitude, of the same frequency.

Which shows how inaccurate English can be as a language - Rich means one
thing,
I mean another, and we are both correct within our meanings. But if we
talk about
amateur radio linears IN GENERAL on this reflector, then we also need to
consider
solid state wideband amplifiers in our discussions( anathema as they may
be to
some of us - me included!) , and then non-coherency etc (Rich's
definition)  is applicable.

73

G3RZP
has a