[AMPS] Alpha Amplifiers

To: <>
Subject: [AMPS] Alpha Amplifiers
From: (Rich Measures)
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 97 10:32:20 -0700
>Ron - W4WA
>Alpha made its entry in the amplifier market in 1970. The amplifiers were
>as follows:
>PA-70A  - Used a 3CX1000A7 - Air Cooled. I still have serial number 5.
>PA-70V  - Used a 3CV1000A7 - Vapor cooled tube - Had a distilled water
>Alpha 77D - First amp. to use an 8877. Same cabinet as the PA-70 series.
>Alpha 77DX - Redesigned and larger cabinet styling. Single 8877. More room
>Alpha 77SX - Same cabinet styling as 77DX but used (2) - 8877's  I still
>own two..

Did you correct the tank circuit Z problem?  If so, please describe how.

>All the amps used an RF drive bias switching circuit wjhich had design
>flaws ...snip...

... amen, Bob.  IMO, it is not good engineering practice to allow the T/R
bias to switch to non-linear mode during transmit, which is what every RF
bias switching scheem does during SSB mode.  It makes better engineering
sense to make the T/R bias switch in unison with the T/R (RF) relays.

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K