[AMPS] Grid current question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Grid current question
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 15:22:58 EDT

On Thu, 07 Aug 1997 03:55:22 GMT wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner) writes:
>Just fired up my new homebrew 8877 amp tonight after nearly two years
>in the works.  And it works!  I can drive it to 1500 watts output
>easily with about 70 watts from the TS-850S.  It just sits there and
>cranks out the power.  Nice!!
>
>My question is about the grid current vs loading.  This is a
>conventional GG circuit, PI-output with designed Q of 12, 3000 volts
>on the plate, nothing fancy.  Unlike my previous amps (3-500Z,
>3CX1200A7) the loading control has a major effect on the grid current.
>Once everything is properly tuned for max output, when I adjust the
>swing it from about 10 ma to 80 ma without appreciable effect on
>either the input power or output power.  It's weird to see the grid
>current all over the map and yet the input power is constant.  Is this
>normal for an 8877?  For a high gain tube like this, maybe it is.
>
>Any comments?
>

>73, Bill W7TI

Ive noticed similar indications with 2 and 3 tube 3CX800 amps and also my
old NCL-2000 6M tetrode amp (screen current sensitivity).
It may have something to do with the Zp being quite low with lower
voltage, high current tubes. A little change in C  has a big effect. Just
a guess.

A LK-800A for example ( 3 x 3CX800's)  will show almost no change in
output from roughly  20 to 100ma of grid current.
Adding a Jackson Brothers 6:1 reduction drive, or similar, makes tuning
easier.

It will be interesting to read the "experts"  comments Bill.

73....Carl   KM1H